Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Farewell Turners

This week marked my last time seeing President and Sister Turner. We had zone conference on Tuesday morning. It was great. They trained on faith as a power, which has been a huge theme in the mission since they first arrived. Many people don't understand this kind of faith. It's the kind of faith that causes things to happen that need to happen. I have used tis principle throughout my mission and it has been a huge blessing. For this faith as a power to work, there is a little bit of a process. First we have to prayerfully figure out what righteous desire we have. It can be anything. As long as it is good. We then go and do what we can that will directly effect the result you desire. Along with that, we take a sort of spiritual inventory and figure out what we can do to better qualify for the Lord's help in accomplishing this righteous desire. Maybe it includes specific fasts, or maybe one works on a christlike attribute, or if one struggles with having effective prayer or scripture study this commitment can be to improve the quality of those things. 

Throughout this process we exercise a "hope" type of faith where we believe that all will work out for our benefit. A trial will ALWAYS come in the course of this process. This trial or trials will help us really determine if going through the trial is worth the desired outcome, if that makes sense. It is what makes our resolve stronger I believe. Expect the miracle at the end, because it will come! I have had many experiences with this, from learning Spanish, to finding my lost wallet in an obscure place! I trained on this a bunch as a zone leader, and I'll attach my notes and references! President and Sister Turner have been such a blessing and guide in my life. They make the gospel fun. I have learned much about virtue with president turner, not only in MLC, but in interviews and zone conferences. 

President made a promise to us. He said that he promises that whenever we meet again, and whatever circumstance he may be in, that he will still be our brother in Christ. He asked of us the same, that whenever we meet again, and whatever circumstances we may be in, that we will still be his brothers and sister in christ. He then left us with a special blessing. I felt an overwhelming sense of love and encouragement. When we shook their hands and said our goodbyes, sister turner told me how grateful she was to have me. She said that I have a great countenance and that She has always thought I had a special spirit. I never realized that. It made me so happy to hear. I know I am in the right spot in my life doing the right things. We visited many less actives and had many discussions about the restoration. One lesson we were in this week almost became a sort of bible bash. It was a less active member who had left the church to be baptized into the pentecostal church... tons of hispanic pentecostals here, and they LOVE to bash. We started to talk about the book of mormon and he immediately brought up his concern there. I don't have my journal with me right now to tell all the details, but I talked about there being an apostasy after the death of christ. I showed him a scripture in 2Thessalonians 2:2-4. It literally says the word "apostasía" or in english "falling away". We talked more about it, went into discussing prophets, and  he asked his son to bring his bible. I was like, oh crap... but surprisingly, it never became contentious and I actually learned from what he had to say. He also mentioned that there was a time of silence where there weren't prophets on a small space between the old and new testament. I then shared Amos 8 where it is prophesied of an older apostasy. God is the same yesterday, today and forever, and will always bring a prophet back to the earth. At that point I testified that there was an apostasy after Christ and his apostles death, and because of that, there was a need to restore what had fallen away. Brother Treadway always said that having a testimony of a great apostasy was important. I have scripture to back up that belief, and it logically made sense to me. But as I testified, mFy Spanish was clear as ever, It was concise and I felt that what I was saying was pure, true and it felt right. I felt the spirit testify to me that there was an apostasy. I was so excited. I can now say for certain that because of how I felt, what made sense logically and because of this experience that I know there was a great apostasy! I am out if time, but I hope all will sincerely seek a testimony of this doctrine.
Greenville East Zone
President is NOT a hugger #wedidit
Saying bye to President & Sister Turner. I love these two. They are going home in about a week.
Pic that Sis Turner took in the last training in zone conference. Sis Vorwaller in tears- she is going home too.

Pres. Turner gave this to all his youth when he was a bishop

No comments:

Post a Comment