Monday, April 10, 2017

Building houses, Chinese Food & a Tornado

Elder Brian and I are together for another one! I do not have much time right now so this week's email will be shorter!

This week we did service for a thing called rebuild upstate. We were working on part of the siding of the house, and I did all the j-channels and the brick molding for the doors and windows! New skill! It was pretty fun. We worked on scaffolding-- not sure if that was allowed or not, but it seemed safe! we got the outside done and I can't wait to do it again! This took 10 hours to do, and the other builders are remodeling their bathroom and kitchen and they built a new porch out back!

I wanted to share two experiences on the topic of inspiration and the spirit. One night this week, Elder Brian and I had talked about inspiration. We never know when something we think or do is inspired by god...until we see the outcome of it. Truly by their fruits we shall know them.

Wednesday morning we planned to see a kid named Yurman (we call him 'your mom' since it sounds the same). We met him on Ross St. while knocking on the door of a potential. He told us that misisonaries had come by before, and that his family had gone to church..pretty cool! As I was looking at the area map on the iPad, I saw a record of a family that lives on ross street...the same address as Yurman! So, we decided to plan in to see that family... fast forward to 10:30, four hours later. Elder Brian mentioned wanting to go to First Wok (a Chinese place we get free meals at) for lunch. I did not really want to eat there for lunch, because we had planned to do companion study right after lunch at the apartment. I was afraid that we wouldn't do comp study if we ate out or something... sounds stupid right? haha. Well anyway, we went to First Wok. It is this hole in the wall place with a small dining area. After ordering, we sat down. Then guess what? In walks Yurman! He looks at us and waves.. so we walk over to him. He was with two of his sisters. We talked for a few minutes, and apparently their entire family are baptized members! They haven't been for a long time, so we exchanged info, and set up a time to visit with them! Who would have thought that the morning we planned to see Yurman, that we meet them at lunch. The Lord will work through your desires sometimes I guess- or plant a thought into your head that you don't recognize as a thought.

Next experience...So we are working with a less active named Brother Hart. We watched the Saturday morning session of conference with him. He said that he would go to Book of Mormon class on Wednesday as well... we forgot that he committed to be there, or that we actually invited him. Then rolls around Friday...6 days since we saw him last. We shared a message with him, then he told us he went to Book of Mormon class on Wednesday night, and we were not there. Immediately we felt stupid! How could we forget! Wednesday Book of Mormon was canceled for the tornado warning, so we did not go to the church. However, it was like 7:15pm and class starts at 7. We were at the spinx across from the church getting gas. There were like 6 cars in the parking lot at the church. Elder Brian suggested to go over there and just talk to a few members for a few minutes. I did not want to. We didn't have a reason to be over there, and there were investigators we could see in the area instead. Plus I added that those people there are probably just in meetings or something since mutual was canceled. I could tell that he didn't agree, so after filling up, I said, you know what, might as well just go over there. He told me nah, it's all good, and then we left. The spirit had once agian prompted Elder Brian to go somewhere (second time at least in that day) and I had this time pushed that prompting away from him in a way. I wanted to do what I wanted (which in this case was not necesarily a bad thing), but it was not what the Lord wanted. Little did we know until Friday, that this thought to go to the church was a prompting. Trust your comp, spouse, or whoever you work with when they have an idea. I need to put more trust in my companion I realized. When we can both set aside our own opnions and seek for what the Lord wants, we will see more miracles!

All I got this week. Pay the price to have the spirit!


Elder Brian too tired to get undressed

Me...  too tired to put away my laundry


No comments:

Post a Comment