Monday, January 25, 2016

Snowed In {and no pics to prove it}

Okay, well I find that it is way easier to do some bullet points! so here was my week this last week!
  • This week we had a world-wide missionary broadcast! It was great! Elder Bednar, Anderson, Oaks, Clayton and Neilson, as well as sister Oscarson all spoke. It was very helpful! (Cousin) Christina talked about in her email how the topic of the Book of Mormon stuck out to her from Elder Oaks' talk. It is cool how people can learn different things from the same program! What stuck out to me was the role of the Holy Ghost in conversion, which Elder Bednar addressed.
  • Interesting thing about South Carolina: There are no Carl's JRs here...instead they are called Hardees... interesting haha
  • Guess what?! WE GOT SNOW! It snowed here Thursday night and also Friday! So that was cool! It does not snow that much here, so the cities do not invest in snow plows or salt to take care of the streets. It was sleeting as well (Freezing rain), so the ground was all too icy to drive. We got told to take precaution and eventually directed to stay in. Elder Fife and I did our weekly planning for the majority of the day. (Friday)

  • On Thursday, we were going to have a dinner with a less-active family, and they ended up having to cancel, so they gave us $30 bucks for food! SO GENEROUS! its crazy! After this however, there was a sad part. The Santiago family we have been teaching since I have been here ( Jose Luis, Silvia, Gloria, Alejandro, Felix, Maria) called us and cancelled on a lesson we had planned with them at the church. We were super confused. They called us and basically said they were not ready to change religions and that they did not want us to come teach them any longer. The dad was talking the fastest I have ever heard him talk and he sounded a little flustered. This family has been doing sooooo well and we have seen a dramatic change in their countenances and the feeling of the spirit in their humble little trailer! After the phone call we were super confused. I remember Elder Fife telling me a few weeks ago, of an experience his sister had on her mission, where one day they went to go teach a family and they drove up and there was a bag of copies of the Book of Mormon hanging on the door. She and her comp were devastated. Thursday morning, before all this had happened, I thought about that and the thought popped into my head that something like that was going to happen to us...and it did. We went by Thursday night to talk with the parents, but they were not home, so tonight (Monday) we are going to find out what really is going on! Pray for us please!!
  • Saturday night, we were in Gray Court going to visit this guy named Faustino. We got to his house, and his whole family was there! As we were walking in, I noticed a couple who we almost had a bash with, my first weeks in South Carolina...so awkward! Elder Fife did not notice who they were until they started talking! I wanted to laugh so hard!! This couple (Nelson and Miladia) had tried to avoid us in the past, gave us a wrong phone number too! but this is the second time we have seen them randomly! They just can't get enough of us Mormons! Another kid there was a guy named Orlando... who we have also taught in the past! hahaha to be honest it was kind of awkward! They were not really down to hear from us right now because we had interrupted their Club America game, which I mean is understandable haha. Now we know who is related to who!
  • This Friday we will be having a visit from Elder Brent Neilson of the Quorum of the Seventy! He spoke at the world-wide broadcast, and I got to meet him my last week in the CCM! Cannot wait to hear from him!
  • We got news last night that the Pats had lost by 2. Fife is a Broncos fan (Only when they do not play the Eagles, so he says hahaa... but he is from Colorado, but still..) so he is happy. I still wore my Patriots super bowl shirt to bed though! #notabandwagoner I just asked Fife for some commentary, and he said, "I'm glad Tom Brady finally got what was coming to him. Go Broncos."

  • I studied the Atonement a little more this week. It is cool how there are two parts. The redeeming and cleansing power of the Atonement, and the enabling and strengthening power as well. We tend to focus in on the first part most of the time, and kind of neglect the other vital part as well. We are told to be using the Atonement in our everyday lives, but sometimes I ask myself, "well how?" I was studying a talk from Elder Bednar and it opened my mind so much! He talked about how he likes to replace the word grace, with "The enabling and strengthening power" of Christ. This helped me understand better what grace truly is. there is a scripture that says, "We know that it is by grace that we are saved after all we can do"(2 Nephi 25:23) Replace the word grace and then re-read it. As we understand this part of the Atonement, and seek to apply it to our lives, we will pray for strength to deal with our circumstances, rather than pray for our circumstances to be changed (still what he said). I do not think i am writing down in words very well, what I am thinking, sorry. But from this, We can truly do all things through Christ, who strengthens us.
Alrighty that's all!
~Elder McLaughlin

No comments:

Post a Comment